With the emergency shelter at the Steinbrenner Band Hall full, there is an additional emergency shelter inside of the Southwest Recreation Center (Building 0316), for members of the UF community and the general population. The address is 3150 Hull Road, Gainesville, FL 32611.
Most members of UF’s community will shelter in their residence or home and/or with family and friends. People who should consider going to this emergency shelter may live in manufactured housing and/or within flood-prone areas. Students who live in residence halls should remain in their halls and follow housing staff instructions.
The emergency shelters will remain open until the tropical storm force winds from Hurricane Irma subside and close when outside conditions are deemed safe by public safety officials. Additional shelters could be opened depending on demand.
The emergency shelter is located in Southwest Recreation Center. Enter the shelter from the northeast entrance inside the protective wind screen. Nearby parking may be available in parking lots along Hull Road. Campus parking restrictions are waived through Tuesday.
Please be advised:
• No pets or comfort animals will be allowed into the shelter, only ADA service animals are permitted. Alachua County offers two pet-friendly shelters.
• Each individual will be allocated 20 square feet of personal space.
• Please provide your own bedding (i.e. pillows, blankets, sheets, air mattresses etc.).
• Basic food options will be provided. If you have dietary restrictions, please bring your own food.
• Don’t forget your chargers for electronic devices, and head phones/ear buds for video and audio use.
• Please bring your own medicines and/or medical supplies.
• No re-entry will be allowed after exiting the shelter.
A representative from the Counseling and Wellness Center and the Student Health Care Center will be available at the emergency shelter. UF Police Department will provide security.